Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thoughts from one of the DREAM TEAM members

Since 1979, Rotarians have been the active soldiers in the war against Polio. As a Rotarian I knew I wanted to take part in the battle. When the opportunity to join a team traveling to India presented itself I accepted the offer and became part of “The Dream Team 2008”.

The Dream Team is comprised of over 50 Rotarians and Friends of Rotary, from five countries and is a diverse group of individuals with one common goal, to see a day when our world will be free of Polio. We each fundraised and will reach our combined goal of $50,000. for our project prior to departing for India.

Our mission is multi-faceted. Our first and foremost service is to be part of National Immunization Day where we will immunize about (1,000) one thousand children under the age of five. Our second goal is to complete the Rotary Computer and Vocational Centre in Chalhalka, as well as the ROTARY DAY-CARE CENTRE OF CHAHALKA.

Administering those two drops of life to the children will truly be one of my life’s most heartfelt experiences. I know one day that Rotary will eradicate Polio and even though four countries including Nigeria, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, are still considered polio-endemic the dedication and determination of Rotarians prevail.

Following the National Immunization Day, our team will head west of Delhi to a poor village of about 500 families, Chahalka. Chalhalka’s water supply was a polluted ,dirty, stinking, breeding ground for water bourne diseases and mosquitoes until 2007, when Rotarians led by Past District Governor Elias Thomas, of Maine, helped to return the water to a safe status. This year, Rotarians will improve the quality of life for residents in this remote village through education and vocational training.

The impoverished families in Chahalka cannot always see the value in education (even though it is provided for free). Youngsters often are needed to work to help subsidize the fainly. So our “Dream Team” again led by Elias Thomas will establish the Rotary Centre for Computer and Vocational Training. This center will benefit the entire village. Young school dropouts will be taught computer skills, enabling them to apply for entry level jobs in India’s burgeoning IT industry. We hope this will also encourage younger children to stay in school and learn valuable skills.

Simultaneously, we will provide vocational training including tailoring and weaving to the housewives. This will give them the opportunity to generate additional income for their families which hopefully, will make it possible for their children to stay in school.

So on February 6th I will embark on a great life experience. I have received all my immunizations and will taking my anti-malaria medication which, my doctor tells me gives you night terrors. I will leave from Newark carrying Club and District banners, educational toys and gifts and some 15 hours later arrive in New Delhi.

Many people have asked me why I am doing this. The answer is simple…I am doing this because I’m a Rotarian!

~Susan Wischhusen Rotary Club of Shirley and the Mastics

1 comment:

Mark Brown said...

I am very pleased to have met Elias and been invited to be part of this fantastic adventure. I too have started a blog for my friends and associates in Newfoundland. I have a lot of detail leading up to our trip. Please take a look at Rotary-District7820.blogspot.com